Thursday, August 28, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Instead of another Artemis post like I planned, I'm posting about the ALS ice bucket challenge.  I think this was a really neat way to raise awareness for a disease that many people don't know about. 
ALS is a nuero-muscular disease that slowly destroys the body's neurons, eventually making it impossible for the brain to control a person's muscles.  Victims become paralyzed and the disease will eventually cause death.  ALS.org estimates that as many as 300,000 Americans may be affected by the disease at a given time.
I can't imagine what it must be like to slowly, day by day, become more and more trapped in your own body.  So as I said, I think this is a really neat way to raise awareness and money in hopes that someday soon scientists will be able to create a cure for ALS.

No comments:

Post a Comment