Sunday, June 3, 2018

Solo Movie Review :D

                                                                  Solo Movie Review
     I will begin by saying that I loved this movie.  I haven't been the biggest fan of the newer movies, and I almost didn't even go see Solo, but after the trailers looked somewhat promising I decided to give it a shot.  And now I've already seen it twice, the only new Star Wars movie I've seen more than once. I've seen a lot of bad reviews for this movie, which makes me sad because I thinks it's a really fun movie.
     One of my main worries going in was that Alden Ehrenreich wouldn't be able to carry the part. It would have been difficult for anyone to follow Harrison Ford, and I'd seen Ehrenreich in two films before, where his characters were both very much not a scoundrel. I just didn't think he had the swagger to pull it off.  But I was wrong and I formally apologize. He did a great job, bringing enough of the Han from the originals while making him a younger, more optimistic, less jaded version that has made me fall even more in love with Han Solo than I already was.
I enjoyed all the characters.  Qi'ra is now my favorite female character in the Star Wars films. She was well rounded, complex, and moved her own plot forward. She's a great mix of being able to take care of herself without loosing any femininity or becoming a generic cut out. Glover's Lando is perfect and Dryden Vas is rather fascinating.
     One of my favorite things about the movie were all the subtle nods to previous Star Wars material, both movies and the expanded universe. (Or at least the expanded universe as it was before Disney went all Henry VIII with revising the cannon.) They make the film feel like it really belonged in the Star Wars universe, and had me smiling to myself over and over throughout the movie.
     I really wanted this movie to be good, but I was certain I would be disappointed.  I was not.  I left the theater thinking "That is how you make a Star Wars movie" and I genuinely hope they get to make another. And that is coming from someone who has been known to complain about Disney's dilution of the Star Wars franchise.
    So please, whatever your thoughts on modern Star Wars, please give Solo a chance.  If you like the original trilogy I think you'll like this one too. 
     
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment